Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Poptart Mistake

Growing up we never had "sugary" cereals, as my mom called them. We had the basics, oatmeal, cornflakes, shredded Wheat (the big kind), Grape Nuts, etc. I'm the same way. I'm not big into heavily processed foods, and I won't buy that sugary stuff my kids are always bringing to me from the bottom shelf of the cereal aisle. With the occassional exception of Peanut Butter Crunch or Cocoa Pebbles for Jacob, we eat pretty healthy breakfasts.

Well, yesterday I bought Poptarts. I had a coupon, they were on sale, and Jacob is California for another couple of days. Why not give the kids a treat. They were thrilled, and when I woke up this morning, very tired, not feeling very well, and in a hurry, it seemed the perfect morning to do a quick Poptart breakfast. After the novelty of getting them out of the toaster was over, and after they had taken a few nibbles around the outside where the frosting hadn't covered, they were through. Hyrum started to cry, "but I wanted cereal for breakfast." Camilla drank her milk and said, "I'm done." And so I threw their easy and fun breakfast in the garbage and gave them what they really wanted, nutrition. Maybe Jacob will eat the rest, because I'm not toucjomg them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha i love the cinnamon kind! They are the only type i will eat though. Your lucky your kids like healthy stuff!

Sarah and Jon said...

lol, that is so awesome:) the jelly stuff in the middle is the worst:)

Carolyn said...

I totally admire because...I ....uh....would have eaten them. Although I try very hard to have healty, balanced meals for mey family every day, I'm quite a little sucker for a sweet treat. :)

Katy B. said...

That is funny! My mom was the same way with breakfast...and I'd like to think we all turned out somewhat healthy.:):):) You are a great Mommy!:)

The Lorenc Family said...

haha! Way to go mom! Did you feel a little proud in the midst of rush? :)We don't touch those things either!