Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Zoo and the Recital

On Monday we went to the Topeka Zoo becuase it is free on my zoo membership that expires this week. I figured it was time to go check it out. Our friends the Tilley's went too.
Mary Emma checking out the tiger.
It was a beautiful day with everything in bloom, however, my allergies were so bad one eye almost swelled shut.
Although I was miserable, the kids still had a good time, and that's what counts.
Wednesday was the rehearsal for the recital, as well as overpriced pictures. This is Camilla and Hyrum's dance dynamos class. (Notice Camilla's sleeves, I used old knee highs and sewed them in.)
Thursday evening was the performance. In this picture Camilla is the tallest girl, next to the boy on the right, and Hyrum is on the far left.
Chimney sweeps with face paint.
Both kids did really well. Camilla seems to have real dancing talent in that she hardly missed a step. She told me later " I love being on the stage!" I guess she takes after her old mom. I was also impressed with how well Hyrum knew the dances. He hasn't liked dance that much, and so I was surprised by how happy he was on stage, and how much he seemed to enjoy the performance. By the end of the recital (their 3rd number was the very last one) Hyrum was getting a little bored and started making up his own dance; I was laughing out loud by the end. So, the recital is over, and both kids seemed to have a good time, and Mary Emma even had some booty wagging going on in the aisle. I cancelled them for the rest of the summer, but by next fall, who knows?

4 comments:

Brewer's Ink said...

You and your allergies! What a bummer! The kids are so cute! I was just looking at pictures of you the other day, in all your costumes for the junior high play. It was so fun to watch you on stage.

Oliphaunt said...

Sorry you had your allergies flare up but it looks like the kids had tons of fun this week. I was thinking about you today and wanted to thank you for your husband's service and your sacrifice. You are truly an amazing friend!

sbelnap said...

your kids look so adorable, that would have been neat to see them dance:) you are such a good mother Alison! love you and can't wait to see you!!!!

Anonymous said...

haha Hyrum was just making the dance a little more interesting is all...:)