Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fun on Ft Riley

Military bases are full of fun, free, suprises. Ft. Riley is no exception. I took my parents there to see the sites.
Dad is in seventh heaven to be standing on a real Union Pacific engine car. He would have stayed there all day if we had let him.
Custer House was better than I expected. Although Custer never really lived there (he lived in quarters that burned down not long after the turn of the century), the house was decorated with period furniture, and the tour made me really appreciate the way the military treats us now. Honey, if we had lived back then, I wouldn't have let you join the Army!


I'm sorry, but the most interesting and fun part of the Cavalry Museum was the elevator. That thing was so old and so tiny, it scared us half to death. You can have your roller coasters, when I want a thrill, I'm riding the elevator at the Cavalry Museum.


4 comments:

Sarah and Jon said...

how fun! i want to see Ft. Riley. I didn't know your parents went to visit you, that's cool/ miss you!

Tiffany said...

We never made it to the Custer Museum. That looks fun. Make sure you get to the Cavalry Museum. That one was great.

Anonymous said...

How funny about those elevators, they seem scary being so tiny. I am sure Grandpa was having a hay day with those trains! How cute!

Brewer's Ink said...

Hey! Don't mock the elevators. When we took the kids to Disneyland years ago, their favorite part was riding the elevators in the hotel. Okie-dokie.