Sunday, October 18, 2009

All Aboard!

We recently joined the Fort Riley Homeschool group. It's great to meet to new people, and they have really neat activities, including a field trip once a month. This month's trip was to ride the old 1945 train in Abilene. Because we were a school group, tickets were only $4.00 a piece for those of us over 2 years old, and free for Mary Emma. I couldn't let an opportunity like that pass us by!

Hyrum loved riding the train. In fact the day before he asked me if it was a diesel train. Honestly, where does this kid get this stuff!


This was the origianl coal burning stove in the train's kitchen. It had been donated by the Army, and I thought the sign on it that said, "coal is money save it!" Was great! Apparently it was put on the stove in the 1930's. (The engine was from 1945, but the wooden dining car we were riding in was from 1919).

The kitchen with a view of the dining car in the background.

I though this was great, my boy looking out the window of a moving train at a train in the distance.
The kids in front of the train we rode on. The orange on the engine is the original paint.

Outside the train station



The next day (Saturday) I watched the Tilley girls all day. We went to the park to pass some time.
Mary and Sydney having a great time.

A full swing set! I thought this was great! Every swing was taken by one of our group.
Mary, Sydney, Ethne, Addison, Hyrum, Camilla


Mary's laugh.

1 comment:

Brewer's Ink said...

Glad you told me about your new posts- I was starting to wonder if you had gone into some kind of a slump after Mom & Dad left. Mary Emma is growing so big, and she is always smiling! The kids are so cute, and you have them doing so many fun things!