Monday, October 12, 2009

Nutrional School Supplies, Power Pants, and Black Cat Cookies

I was thinking today, why don't they put multi-vitamins in school supplies, because it seems to me that my children prefer them to ordinary nutritional food. Camilla, give her a brand new pencil and within minutes the eraser is chewed off and ingested. Hyrum, loves licking the glue off the cap, licking the glue off his fingers, licking the glue off his papers, licking the glue off his sister's paper. Mary Emma, any crayons on the floor beware! I have lost, probably, at least two new boxes of crayons to her. And yet make them a sandwich for lunch and "I don't like that," "I'm not hungry;" of course you're not you've been snacking on school supplies all day!

You have probably heard of "power ties." Today on the way home from the store, Hyrum informed Camilla that he was wearing "power pants" which just happen to be red. You can see these amazing pants in the pictures below.

For our Home Evening Activity tonight, we made the infamous Black Cat Cookies. Infamous because they have been known to give my sister Jeanette a very bad day :). They were a lot of fun, and the kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves. In my sister's defense, however, I have to say that they are quite difficult to do with little children. Hyrum did burn himself, not badly, and there was a lot of whining about whose turn, and my constant vigilance to make sure no fingers were going in the mouth, etc. I only did half the batch with them, and then finished after they were in bed.
Hyrum awaiting his turn, and Camilla doing the smash down. (Notice she is sitting on the table, which made my plastic tablecloth buckle a little, and the pan burn a hole in it.)

Just happy to watch. (Yea right! She was screaming in her chair until I pointed the camera at her.)

Putting on the cat faces. ("But mom, I just want to eat the candy corns, not put them on the cookies.")

Their cat creations, with a scary roar face from Hyrum to go with them.

My best one. I know it looks more like an angry bear than a cat, but what can I say, I'm tired.
Alright, for anyone wanting to attempt this on their own, and like I said at first, it was fun, here's the recipe:

Black Cat Cookies
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
candy corn (for eyes)
red-hot candies (for nose)

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Roll dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
2. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Pinch top of cookie to form ears. For whiskers, press a fork twice into each cookie. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. Remove from the oven; immediately press on candy corn for eyes and red-hots for noses. Remove to wire racks to cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha I laughed about the "but mom i just want to eat the candy corn part" that's my biggest difficulty becuase I love candy corn...yes Camilla and Hyrum its hard to let it go somewhere other than your mouth, but its worth it in the end. I think that your directions are better than the ones I have, the way you said to put everything in slowly makes sense- i put all dry ingredients in at once and wondered why mine always turn out kinda dry. Good to know!

Brewer's Ink said...

Ten points for Alison! Glad it was a success, or at least that you are still claiming it as a success even with all the little mishaps. Ours, this year, turned out as well; I'm thinking of adding to the recipe, right near the top, TAKE ZOLOFT BEFORE PROCEEDING! It helps.